Paris, San Diego, Los Angeles, Brooklyn, and then back to the middle of nowhere

The middle of December saw me packing my bags to get back home to sunny San Diego before the holiday rush at the airports began. Luckily, in between my long bus and train ride to get to Paris, and my painfully long flight from Paris to San Diego, I got to spend the day romping around the city with my friend Kelsey. Paris welcomed me back with cold, crisp weather and sunny skies.

We started the day with a picnic in the Jardin des Plantes near Kelsey’s school, then went to warm up with some mint tea at the Paris Mosque.

DSC_0006 DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011The rest of the afternoon was spent walking around the beautiful Parisian streets, occasionally ducking out of the cold for coffee (and later, cocktails). DSC_0003 DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0014 DSC_0018DSC_0017 DSC_0015 DSC_0024 DSC_0021 DSC_0019Then, all too soon, after an amazing girl’s night out in the city (which I really needed after 4 months in the quiet countryside) it was off to Charles de Gaulle for my early morning flight back to San Diego. It had only been 4 months since my last visit, but once people you love start having children, the time away stretches and warps in a funny way. Whereas 6 months away from home used to seem like nothing, it now seems like a small eternity: when you come home and your infant nephew has, since your last visit, become a toddler and is suddenly starting to walk and talk and has teeth like a real little man, you get this deep-seated anxiety to not miss another moment.

Once back in San Diego and recovered from my jet-lag, I got right down to the business of being sick with the stomach flu, shortly followed by a cold. After a few day quarantine, I could finally hang out with my best friends and their children without fear of spreading my cooties (even though they and everyone else in San Diego had already been sick before me). A short four days after my return my sister flew in from New York with my nephew, and the sight of all my favorite little babies playing together was enough to break my heart.                                                                              photo (8)photo (5)photo (4)photo (7)photo (6)

Coal and "Rogie" (Coal can't say Rowan yet)

Coal and “Rogie” (Coal can’t say Rowan yet)

After the time being sick, my 3 weeks in San Diego was a blur of family, friends, seafood, sushi, Mexican food, wine and delicious home-cooked meals that all went by way too fast.

photo 3photo 3 photo 2 photo 1photo photo (2) photo (1) IMG_1729 IMG_1731  IMG_1712  photo 5IMG_1072 IMG_1073 IMG_1081

Before I knew it my time at home was coming to a close, and I was heading up to LA to visit my friend Kate. I took the train up, enjoying the ocean view to my left, and the hills to my right.

The view from the train, to the East

The view from the train, to the East

Once in LA, I went to see Kate’s adorable apartment on the edge of Venice/Santa Monica, and we hung out and caught up over a couple of coupes de champagne. The we went down the street a few blocks and met some of her friends for amazing cocktails at The Tasting Kitchen. All that drinking made us hungry so we headed across town to West Hollywood for  dinner at The Eveleigh. This is an amazing restaurant, if ever you are looking for a place to eat in LA, I highly recommend it. The patatas bravas are a must.

Too soon my time with Kate was over, and it was time to head back to San Diego…

photo 2…but not before my sister and I got our Italian passports. What!? No more French visa malarky for me.

Once back in San Diego we just had a few more San Diego sunsets to enjoy…

photo 4   IMG_1675 IMG_1670 IMG_1667   IMG_1662 photo 2

…and then I piled onto a too-small airplane with my sister, brother-in-law and nephew and we left San Diego behind for New York.

My time in New York was short but sweet. I barely had 2 days there, so we made it count. We went (as per usual) for a long walk in the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens (free every Tuesday!)DSC_0045 DSC_0039 DSC_0034 DSC_0033

I met up with my friend from San Diego, Janese. She just moved to New York in August, and has an adorable apartment and is loving her new life in the city. We also met my friend Emma (maybe you remember her from my days in Rennes?) for lunch at Ippudo, the crazy popular Ramen restaurant in Manhattan.If you ever decide to go there, I suggest going on Wednesday as it is an abnormally slow day for them, we didn’t even have to wait. If you go any other day, plan on being there by the time they open their doors at 11 (they don’t take reservations) and expect a wait of up to 40 minutes, even if you get there before it opens. Is it worth it? Yes. Don’t miss the shishito peppers.

Reunited and it feels so good

Reunited and it feels so good

DSC_0065 DSC_0064 DSC_0063 DSC_0062DSC_0051 DSC_0053   After our divine lunch (I can never get enough Asian food when I’m not in France), we spent part of the day wandering around the Picasso exhibit at the Guggenheim and then met my dear friend from France Augusta for too many martinis at Rouge 5 photo 4

Rowan was having a blast feeding Augusta popcorn

Rowan was having a blast feeding Augusta popcorn


The next day it was off to the plane to the train to the bus and then finally back to my little nook in the middle of nowhere, and some much needed after my vacation!  IMG_8044 IMG_8046  IMG_8037 IMG_8039

This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Paris, San Diego, Los Angeles, Brooklyn, and then back to the middle of nowhere

  1. Tort McCarter says:

    It seems like forever ago already, doesn’t it? Great story and pictures. I really like the last one, of Toby in the field. Great composition, and a rare good photo of him!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s